What is Agronomy?
What is Agronomy?
The term agronomy is derived from Greek words “AGRO” meaning field & “NOMO” meaning to manage.
Definition of agronomy:
1. Agronomy is branch of agril science which deals with principles & practices of soil, water & crop management.
2. It is branch of agril science that deals with methods which provide favorable environment to the crop for higher productively,
3. It deals with the study of principles and preaches of crop production and field management.
4. It is the study of planet in relation to soil and climate. It deals essentially with all aspects of soil, crop and water management to increase productively of crops.
Principles of agronomy deal with scientific facts in relations to environment in which crop are produced
Scope of agronomy:
Agronomy is a dynamic discipline with the advancement of knowledge and better understanding of planet & environment, agril. Practices and modified of new practices developed for high productively as follows:
1. Proper methods of filling the lands.
2. Suitable period for its cultivation.
3. Keeping farm implements in good shape and managing field crops in a efficient manner as experienced farmer.
4. Management of crops, live stock & their feedings.
5. Care and disposal of farm & animal products like milk & eggs.
6. Proper maintenance of accounts of all transactions concerning farm industry.
7. Availability of chemical fertilizers has necessitated the generation of knowledge on the method.
8. Availability of herbicides for control of weeds has led to development for a vast knowledge about selectivity, time & method of its application.
9. Water management practices.
10. Intensive cropping.
11. New technology to overcome the effect of moisture stress under dry land condition.
12. Packages of practices to explore full potential of new varieties of crops.
Restoration of soil fertility, preparation of good seedbed, use of proper seed rates, correct dates of sowing for each improved Variety, proper methods of conservation & management of soil moisture & proper control weeds are agronomic practices to make our finite land water resources more productive.
With the growth of other allied agril sciences, the present day agronomy not only embodies the act of soil management of crop production and obtaining maximum production at minimum cost but also establishing new facts and applying scientific knowledge to practical problems.
The emphasis of agronomy is now more towards the scientific study of the behavior of plant under the different environmental conditions like varing soils and climate, irrigation, fertilization etc. by conducting well laid out experiments in the fields, pots & laboratories.
It is also involves application of research in the field or forming suitable packages of practices under a given set of conditions.